Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Old Testament God

It's hard to argue with the proposition that God in the Old Testament is a very different dude from the New Testament.  In preparing to teach Sunday school, I came across this little passage in Exodus.  God' appeared to Moses in the form of a burning bush, and in the course of their interview says,


21 And I will give this people favour in the sight of the Egyptians: and it shall come to pass, that, when ye go, ye shall not go empty.
22 But every woman shall borrow of her neighbour, and of her that sojourneth in her house, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment: and ye shall put them upon your sons, and upon your daughters; and ye shall spoil the Egyptians.

I guess this was before God came up with the idea about thou shalt not steal.  I particularly love the part where it says they will "borrow" from the neighbors.  I can just imagine the conversation.

"Mabel, long time no see."
"Hey, Nefertiti, I was wondering if I could - uh - borrow some of your jewelry."
"Sure, knock yourself out.  What do you need?"
"Oh, you know.  Jewels of silver.  Also, I could use some raiment.  You got any raiment?"
"Are you kidding, I got loads of raiment.  I'm lousy with it.  Say, what do you think of this weather, lately?"
"Weather?"
"You know, plagues of frogs, plagues of flies, the river turning into blood.  Kooky isn't it?  Ramses says it has something to do with global warming, but I don't know.  What do you think?"
"Gee... yeah, global warming I guess.  Do you have any jewels of gold, too?"
"Sure.  Say, what's with that sheep's blood you painted over your door?"
"Is that a problem?"
"Well, the head of the Neighborhood Association asked me about it.  And I said I'd ask you."
"It won't be there more than a week, I promise."
"Oh, great.  And one other favor.  Before you return the raiment, do you mind dropping it off at the dry cleaners.  I'd appreciate it."
"Uh...  Sure.  No problem."