Sunday, May 17, 2015

Spencer's Wedding


Yesterday, my younger daughter Spencer tied the knot with Glenn Stewart.

If I say so myself, it was a complete success.  I personally embarrassed my daughter three times by my count, which is the requisite minimum number for a self-respecting dad to embarrass his daughter.

Let's face it, the 21st Century American wedding has gotten completely out of hand.  This wedding was no exception.  There was a regular battalion of bridesmaids and groomsmen.  Lined up at the altar, they looked like the finale of a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta.  

The rehearsal dinner was at a magnificent old home, the ceremony was beautifully conducted at St Martins in the Fields by Father John McCard, and afterwards, there was a reception at a swanky country club.  This morning, there was a wonderful breakfast.

It was a complete blowout.

Yes, the modern American wedding is an insane extravagance, but - to reiterate - this morning my daughter is married to the man she has chosen to spend the rest of her life with.  And he is a wonderful man.

There are worse reasons for extravagance.