Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I Have Become a Lazy Dreamer

A Recent Dream
I'm sorry to say that I've become a very lazy dreamer.  Some people dream in color, I barely even dream in black and white.  I've noticed that whenever possible the dream-projector in my head will turn off all the lights and save itself the trouble of coming up with scenery.  For example, last night I dreamt I was driving my car, and suddenly the windows fog up and I can't turn on the defroster, and it's night time on a street without lights, and needless to say, my headlights are off too.  In other words, total freaking dark.  This was not a dream where I wrecked the car - I felt perfectly safe, just slightly annoyed - but the main point was my dream-projector was saving batteries or whatever by coming up with a scenario where it didn't have to show me anything. It's the equivalent of a screenwriter saving himself effort by having two characters stare at each other in silence for an hour.  I wish this were something unusual, but it seems more and more common that my dreams take place in total blackness.  I used to look forward to dreams as a respite from my drab, colorless life, but no more.  While other people are dreaming of blue unicorns or yellow-spotted butterflies in top hats, I'm dreaming of dark closets or unlit basements.  I'm sure if I put my mind to it, I could have more visually interesting dreams, but that kind of spoils the point.  What's the point of sleeping if you have to work at it?