Monday, April 07, 2014

Oops! Bonus Letter: B is for Bactrian Camel

B is for Bactrian Camel.

Sundays, according to the rules of the A to Z Blogging Challenge, I don't have to blog at all, this way the number of letters in the alphabet will match up with the number of blogs.  But I goofed.  Nancy and I are in New York, and I forgot what day it was, so I blogged F is for Fly.

Today, therefore, I'll backtrack and supply this picture and biography of one animal that fell through the cracks as it were.  This is the Bactrian, or two-humped camel.  It is so much cooler than the garden-variety one-humped or dromedary camel.  Someone once called a camel "a horse designed by committee."  Well, the bactrian camel is a camel designed by committee.

I did not include this in the original go-round because I was convinced that a two-humped camel was called a dromedary, but no, I had it wrong.  I owe this error to a poem by Ogden Nash or else possibly Stephen Leacock:

The camel has a single hump.
The dromedary, two.
Or is it the other way around?
I'm never sure, are you?

I should've known not to trust a poet, especially one who admits to his own ignorance.  Anyway.  The word dromedary, incidentally means "running."  I was not aware camels of any description do much running, but maybe when I wasn't looking, they were skipping around like billy-o.

Only a few bactrian camels are in the wild, but it's marvelous to think of any wild camels at all.  There are no wild dromedaries.