Thursday, November 21, 2013

Enough Is Enough

I've Reached a Stage Where I Don't Need Anything More
I've reached a stage where I don't need anything more.

I need food, and clothes, and shelter, and these things have to be replaced or repaired as they wear out, but I no longer need anything else.  In fact, I don't need a lot of what I already have.  in the basement - which, by the way, is an entire room I don't need - we still have a VCR rewinder.  Yes, a special machine made just to rewind VHS tapes which no longer exist.

Oh, wait a minute.  We still have some VHS tapes, too.

For the first time in my life, I don't even need more books.  I have stacks and stacks of them that I want to read that I haven't gotten around to reading yet.  Why would I want more?

Nancy says I really need to get an I-Phone, that if I had it, for example, I could get on the internet anytime I wanted.  Perhaps my position is an extreme one, but I feel the eight hours a day I already spend on the internet are sufficient.  My buddy Chris Bundy was demonstrating a great new app for his I-Phone the other night.  Instead of typing a text message to his wife Jennie, he could speak into the phone.  Amazing.  A phone you can speak into; what will they think of next? 

I think I'm about as happy as I'll ever be, which is pretty darn happy, although admittedly I have my share of frustrations and anxieties.  I do not see one other object on the horizon capable of increasing my happiness or reducing my anxieties.

I'm reading over this blog, and it sounds like raw bragging, but I think it's just the truth.  I'm at the opposite end of Oliver Twist; I've finished my bowl of high-end, high-priced, high-tech gruel, and I'm saying, "Please, sir.  No more."