Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Closet Space

Have you ever had a dream in which your spouse did something that made you so angry, you were still angry when you woke up?

This happened to me last night; I dreamt Nancy had evicted me from my closet space to make room for her clothes, and that my wardrobe was secreted in various places around the house.  My polo shirts, if I recall, were under the couch cushions and I believe my underwear was in the refrigerator crisper drawer.

This dream is not as far-fetched as it seems.  My clothes are all in the guestroom because Nancy has commandeered not only the bureau and chest of drawers in our room, but all four closets.
Again, a disclaimer.  There aren't exactly four closets in our bedroom.  There are two closets built into the wall, and one Nancy bought and had installed.  This final closet, however, is sort of a "double" so I'm counting it as two, although, again, in strict fairness, as far as I can make out, one side is devoted to nothing but shoes and belts.

Keep in mind, that for the most part, Nancy works from home, and only has to dress up when she travels out of town.  I don't know how much clothing other women possess, because I'm not permitted access to their boudoirs, and I do realize women legitimately require more clothes than men, so I don't really know if Nancy is exceptional in this regard.  She does not go on wild shopping sprees for clothes, so far as I know, so in spite of my simmering irritation after being dispossessed of closet space in my dream, I'll let it slide.  Besides, if I brought up the topic of clothes, she might fairly counter by bringing up books.

"What do you need with all these books?" she might fairly ask.  "Do you really think you'll get around to reading them?"

And so, I will not mention the closet issue outside of this blog.  Live and let live.