Tuesday, June 11, 2013

How to Beat a Terrorist

The current cover of People Magazine features three beautiful young women, not unusual for People, I suppose, but these particular women - Mery Daniel, Adrianne Haslet, and Heather Abbott - are three of the marathoners injured by the Boston bomber.  I haven't read the article itself, which I assume, like all People Magazine Articles, is about three hundred words long (People has replaced Life as grown-ups' picture book)

But I don't need to read the article, the picture says it all.  I will not deny that tears brimmed my eyes when I saw them.  That, ladies and gentlemen, is how to beat terrorism.  If the objective of terrorism is terror, then have no terror.  Go on being beautiful and young.  Be dauntless, be brave.  Smile.

Far be it from me to wish vengeance on any soul, but there is a part of me that hopes this picture is in Dzhokhar Tsanaev's cell, where he must look at it every day.  And if there is an afterlife, Tamerlan must see the smiling faces of these beautiful women he tried to hurt - and sees them every day.  Forever.