Friday, June 21, 2013

How I Stay Motivated

People look at me in astonishment and wonder, gasping in surprise.  "Gasp, gasp," they gasp.  "You used to look like the Pillsbury Doughboy.  Now you look like a somewhat more athletic Pillsbury Doughboy.  What is your secret?"

Well, I can tell you, it's not easy finding time for the gym, but if you're really motivated, you can do it.  It's not easy in my case because my own life is such a whirlwind of activity.  I wake up each day at 5:00 AM.  Then immediately, I go back to sleep because, hey, 5:00 AM.  Then once I get up, I log right into my computer and stare at Facebook for an hour or so.  This is a crucial part of my day because I keep track of the people in my network plus see if they've posted any kitten videos.  This is followed by a good, mental-health-inducing nap.  Then I flip through channels on the tv.  I've been rewatching Arrested Development, which I think I've seen all the way through about three times, but the funny thing is, no matter how many times I watch it, I always catch something new.  Maybe because the first three times I saw it, I kept falling asleep.  I still cap-nap during the show, thus ensuring at least one more enjoyable viewing.  Then back to Facebook to see if there's any new updates.  Then a nap maybe, or squeeze in another episode of Arrested Development.  I also like to spend about an hour a day just sitting and staring.

You might wonder with such a go-go-go schedule how I possibly make time to exercise.  Well, it's all about motivation, and for motivation, I depend on Nancy.

She'll say, "Since you're just lying there, why don't you...?" and whatever comes next will be intrinsically motivating.  Maybe she'll suggest I do some laundry, or build a nesting box for the chickens, or clean out the gutters.  It doesn't really matter, because as soon as she says "Since you're just lying there..." I'm up like a shot and off to the gym.

Instant motivation.