Saturday, December 29, 2012

Me and My High Horse

Pardon me while I get on my high horse and set a couple of things straight.

Astronomical does not mean extreme; it refers to the distances between stars.  Something can be astronomically expensive, it cannot be astronomically cheap.  It can be astronomically large, not astronomically small.  You might as well say microscopically huge.

Epicenter is not a hip synonym for center, although that's how people are using it lately.  It's weird, but what it means is the edge of the center.  If you were at the center of an earthquake, you'd have to be inside the earth; the epicenter is on the surface.  Deepstep, Georgia is the epicenter of nowhere.

Got it?  Now let's keep it straight, shall we?

Now someone bring me a ladder before I fall off this high horse and break my neck.