Sunday, November 04, 2012

Daylight Savings Time

An hour added to the day and I feel like Superman
This is that wonderful time of year when I wake up at 8:00 am on Sunday and discover it's really only 7:00.  Marvelous!  Who doesn't love the wonderful boost, the feeling of ersatz efficiency, you get on the day when everything's an hour earlier than it feels like, and even though you're as big a schlubb as ever, you manage to get everything done an hour faster than you normally do.

"Why it's only 11:15, and I've already played four games of computer solitaire, watched a complete infomercial, and stared into space for a solid minute.  At this rate, I'll be dressed and showered by noon!"

An hour added to the day, and I feel like a Superman.

The problem is, of course, or one of the problems, is that the illusion of a power surge wears off in a few days, and everything's back to being the same as it ever was.  Worse yet, in Spring, the NASA scientists or whoever's in charge of these things, makes you turn your clocks forward, and you lose an hour.

I respectfully submit to the Bureau of Clocks and Wristwatches that they've got the scheme the wrong way around.  If I get to gain an hour, I'd much rather have it in May, and if I must give up an hour, I'd rather do so in November, or better still, February, which is a month most of us would prefer to shorten as much as possible.

And while we're at it, why are we sticking with just one hour?  Why can't we turn the whole calendar back, and not just our clocks?  Wouldn't it have been great waking up this morning and seeing it was October 4?  All the Halloween candy I've gorged on for the past few days would still be safely stored in its unopened bags, those eggs I carelessly dropped getting in the door would still be inside my chickens, and I'd have a whole extra month do catch up on all the things I was supposed to do last month.

On the other hand, we'd have to hear about the election an extra thirty-one days.

It's not worth it.