Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Cleaning the Chicken Coop


No actual chickens were harmed in the making of this blog.
The illustration is included for metaphoric purposes only.
My daughter's getting married in a few more days, and I had to clean up the chicken coop.
This is not the sort of sentence you get to write everyday, and you have to make the most of it while you can.  We're holding the rehearsal dinner at our house, and we want everything spic and span.  I took a weak solution of bleach water and scrubbed down the roof, which has gotten somewhat mildewed over the previous year.
Then, later the same day I visited my friends Chris and Jenny because Jenny has sweetly - sweetly! - volunteered to translate the wedding ceremony into Mandarin - some of Drew's family don't speak much English.  All of this sets me to thinking about the cycle of life, time's winged flight, and that sort of thing.  As I type this, it is still dark outside, and I can hear the morning birds singing on the lawn.What a beautiful thing life is!  Shame on anyone who is not as happy as a king.  My daughter has fallen in love and family will come from far and near to celebrate that fact.  Perhaps, one day, in the fullness of time, Drew and Catherine will clean a chicken coop for their own child's wedding.
I could hope for nothing more.