Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rest in Peace, Doc Watson


I frist heard Doc Watson on an album my mother owned, singing "Froggy Went a Courtin'"  I was too young to separate the musicianship from the personality of Doc.  There were interminable verses, filled in with Doc's funny voices and sound effects.  I didn't realize he was a great musician, I thought he was just someone funny that I'd like to know, maybe an uncle.  Here's a video of two lost greats - Earl Scruggs and Doc Watson playing in an impromptu pickup band in Doc's backyard.  It starts with a commercial, I'm sorry to say, but what the hell.  Listen to the music, but listen to the intro first: how completely ingenuous and without pretense these men are.  I stand by my earlier pronouncement.  They were great musicians, of course, but more than that, they were people you'd like to know.  Maybe in heaven I will.