Thursday, July 28, 2011

Craving Attention

Different people write for different reasons.  Flannery O'Connor said she wrote because she was good at it, the kind of funny, frank, conversation-stopping comeback she specialized in.  But that can't be true, can it?  There must've been a time when she wasn't good at it, but was writing anyway, learning to be good at it.
I can't speak for other writers, but I'm pretty sure I took it up because I craved attention. 
I wasn't always interested in writing, for the longest time I wanted to be a cartoonist.  When I was in middle school, I drew comics about my friends on the debate team.  Actually, they weren't properly friends at the time.  I was the youngest person on the team, there largely on sufferance of the coach, Ted Carter, because my big sister was on the team.  Everyone else was older, sophisticated, wise-cracking and sharp.  I covetted their acceptance.
I dreamed up a story line in which the team were super heros, along the lines of the Fantastic Four.  I stayed up one night, using a playing card to square off panels on sheets of typing paper, in which I illustrated their adventures. Just wait 'til they see this!  They're going to love it, I thought, and sure enough, they were thrilled!  They passed them around and laughed and repeated the jokes I'd written and told their friends about it.  I wasn't just accepted, I was like a star.
That set a pattern for me.  Every time we went on a debate trip, I produced a fresh comic.  When I moved to Milledgeville and joined the team there, I did the same.  Staying up late, all alone, darkness outside the windows, drawing pictures and writing dialogue - wait 'til they see this!  It was the anticipation of people's reaction even more than their actual reaction that began to drive me.
Also while in Milledgeville, I joined the theater group at the behest of my teacher Lee Bowman - ah, what we owe to our teachers, can we ever thank them enough.  I loved being on stage and was pretty good at it.  I continued acting right through college.  But the attention you get performing, while intoxicating, is too strong for a steady diet as far as I'm concerned.  I love being on stage, but afterwards my hands are shaking because of the strain.  My young friend Carson is soon to debut as a Lost Child in Peter Pan, and I hope he loves it, too.  Acting is a real thrill and something no one should miss.  But in the long run, it's not for me.  Maybe the proportions are wrong - there's too much actual attention and not enough anticipation of it.  Everything's all-at-once do-or-die make-or-break.  You're on the tightrope the whole time, and while it's a blast feeling their response - and blast is the accurate word: it's like standing in front of an open furnace door - you can't enjoy the prospect of their pleasure.  Flannery OConnor, like me, had also been a cartoonist, and I believe acted on the same Georgia College (Georgia Women's College, then) stage that I did.  But she gave those things up, even though she must've been good at them, to write - which presumably, she wasn't good at yet.  Maybe there wasn't enough wait 'til they see this to savor.
I like this right now.  I'm the only one awake in the house.  It's dark outside the windows.  My second cup of coffee is at my wrist.  In a moment, I'll refill it and resume work on The Bread of Heaven, a novel I'm currently on draft 12-c of.  But OMG, OMFG, it is really something!  Wait 'til you see this!  Just wait 'til you see it!