Friday, March 04, 2011

It Never Gets Old

It never gets old.


We started our seeds in the basement last week. I’ve got the plants sitting on unused pegboard laid across a couple of saw horses. Beneath that is a space heater to warm the soil to 68 degrees. It’s a really ambitious planting: eighteen tomato plants, three cucumbers, nine okras, plus peppers and eggplants.

Wednesday they started coming up. It is so damn cool I can’t stand it.

Why is that?

Maybe it’s because I’m only fifty-two. That means I’ve seen – at most – this particular phenomenon forty-some times, so it gets to me because it's still unfamilar. But if that were the case, it seems like the more I saw it, the less it would excite me. But it’s the other way around. Each year first sight of those new green shoots is cooler than the year before.

It just never gets old.