Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thanksgiving.

Mine is the only family I know that celebrates separate Thanksgivings. My wife this year is going to visit her friend in Seattle, and I – as is my wont – will go down to sunny Ocean Springs, Mississippi, to be with my sister Chris’s former partner, Marian, my sister Helen, my niece Abigail, and this year Abigail’s boyfriend. With luck my Uncle Charles and Aunt Betty Ann will be there too, but we’ll see.

Marian, who works for FEMA and runs a B&B, is a wonderful host, and always makes everyone feel so welcome. She is truly one of the sweetest people I know. As for Helen and Abby, they are always a delight. As for me, I look forward to the chance to do what I rarely get to – cook. In addition a specially marinated turkey I’m making sweet potato casserole, dressing, and sour dough French bread. Abby is making her special Brussels sprouts, asparagus, and mashed potatoes. (Thanksgiving is always a somewhat carb-heavy celebration.)

There may also be a certain amount of alcohol on hand. This year, I think, what the heck, I may try some myself.

I have a lot to be thankful for, a corny sentiment, but true. I am in love with my wife and I have my health. In addition, my new book, Paradise Dogs, comes out this summer from Thomas Dunne Books. Life is good. It’s good to have a day set aside just to remember that.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.