I Heart Indies

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Synethesia

I've always wanted the gift of synethesia.  To some, of course, it's not a gift but a curse, if not an actual illness, a perceptual malfunction like revervse color blindness.  Synesthesia is perceiving sensory data relevant to one sense in terms of another.  Percieving a sound as a color, for example.  The most famous synesthete is probably Nabokov, who as a child had a set of alphabet blocks - you know the sort of thing, colored cubes with a different letter on each side.  Anyway, Nabokov told his mother that the "E" was the wrong color.  I don't know what color the E was, or what color young Vladimir thought it should be, but he had a distinct sense that the sound E was associated with a particular color, and making it orange, for example, was as incorrect as a blue apple.
In any case, it probably wasn't E in the first place, because it would have been something in the Cyrillic alphabet, so it was probably something like one of those candlelabra-looking things or a backwards F or something.
His mother had the good sense to agree with him, that yes, the E was the wrong color, and later Vladimir grew up to record such magnificent synesthesias as, "The car door slammed and left a square echo."
How I wish I could do that!  To feel one sense so strongly, that it spilled over into another, so that a sound was also a shape!  And to do it so aptly, for who can deny that a car door makes a square sound?
This morning my dog woke up from a dream.  It was about 4:30; the lights were off, and I was half asleep myself, perhaps just coming out of a dream of my own.  Zoe let out a long, slow groan, and I perceived in the darkness that the sound was shaped like a French loaf: elongated and slim, tapered slightly at either end.
How nice that was.  Little enough, but a synesthesia of my own, and there you have it.  Or, as Nabokov would say, there you have it.
Scoring Bertram Wiggly. Now exclusively on Kindle. Click here to order.

No comments:

Post a Comment