I Heart Indies

Saturday, February 27, 2010

First Egg

As a minor pastime, I collect euphemisms. One of my current favorites is, "becoming a woman," for "beginning her menstrual cycle."  Well, last night I learned my little chicken is becoming a hen.
I was driving home from a debate tournament when my daughter - who's home for the weekend - called to give me the glad news.
The egg is very small, as big as a chocolate Easter egg.  The color, which I first thought was light brown, I now realize is a more complex hue invloving an almost rose and something like burgundy.  I don't know if we'll be unsentimental enough to eat it, and it'd make a damn small omelet, but in the meantime, I am so proud.
My chicken is becoming a hen.

2 comments:

  1. Big zippity squat...a chicken laid an egg. Take her out and buy her that first beer.
    (You lay one YOURSELF, and I'll be impressed.)
    David Gardner

    (Loved "Endless Corvette", but now I'm convinced my car smells like sardines.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David! I haven't heard from you in ages! Where are you these days?

    ReplyDelete